Monday, May 25, 2015

Chapter 3 &5

 


After reviewing the chapter 3 and 5 in our textbook, there were three specific contents that I chose to expand and find interest in. These three things were two different approaches to learning, using social media for creative learning and teaching about cyberbulling.

Before this class, I did not know about the two different approaches to learning. After reading through chapter 3, I now know that my teaching philosophy will be mostly student-centered. What that means to me is that I want make sure students feel like what they are doing seems easy; that being learning. Learning should be easy! I also know that integrating real world problems and solutions is very important. Students should feel like what they are learning makes sense because they will be using it in the future. Finally, I want to use students' personal work that they put their time, creativity, and knowledge. Students should be assessed by their progress shown in their portfolios.

Social Media. It is something that most people are a part of outside of work and school. But the idea of having social media in schools has become a more popular trend. As an employee of a school who is trying to integrate Google Docs into classrooms, I 100% am for the idea. The idea is for access to online notebooks for students and document sending for teachers. Teachers are able to send documents to students via Google Docs which saves time, money on paper and printing, and reduces the chances of them getting lost. This goes for the notebook as well. Students are able to upload their notes online so that they have a virtual notebook and cannot lose their notes. This is something that I hope to use once I become a teacher.

Cyberbullying is a growing problem online. With the growing use of the internet in schools, this is a problem I strongly feel like we sometimes don't take seriously in teaching students what it is and looks like. Although I didn't really want to expand on it, I just think it a powerful thing to know. It is something else that I want to make sure it sticks with me and my belief of making sure kids know the importance.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on trying out a digital web 2.0 tool. :) Also appreciate your reflective writing on the concepts. Good to hear that your school is using Google docs as it can be a very powerful tool for collaboration and even at the base level, there are many easy ways for teachers to manage student work, as well.

    ReplyDelete